Norwich ex-pub landlord electrocuted on holiday in India

Former Norwich pub landlord, Thomas Sharp, has been tragically electrocuted on holiday in India.

The 44-year-old was holidaying in the city of Jodhpur, in the north-western state of Rajasthan, when the incident occurred. Local police have confirmed that Sharp was electrocuted while trying to switch on a fan in his hotel room.

Sharp moved to Norwich in 2014, and had been running the King's Arms pub in the city since 2017. He was well-loved in the community, with many locals describing him as a “kind and generous” man.

Sharp's family, who are based in the South West of England, are said to be devastated by the news. In a statement, his brother, Robert, said: “We are deeply shocked and saddened by the sudden and unexpected loss of our beloved brother. Thomas was a wonderful person and will be deeply missed by us all. We are now focussed on supporting each other through this difficult time.”

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has confirmed that it is providing assistance to the family of the deceased. A spokesperson for the FCO said: “We are in contact with the Indian authorities and providing support to the family of a British man who has sadly died in Jodhpur, India.”

Sharp's family are now making arrangements to bring his body home.