Latest ArticlesCOP28: 7 food and agriculture innovations needed to protect the climate and feed a rapidly growing world Santos, now booted from the House, got elected as a master of duplicity — here’s how it worked Colonized countries rarely ask for redress over past wrongs − the reasons can be complex Artificial wombs could someday be a reality – here’s how they may change our notions of parenthood Turmoil at OpenAI shows we must address whether AI developers can regulate themselves Who is still getting HIV in America? Medication is only half the fight – homing in on disparities can help get care to those who need it most Electric arc furnaces: the technology poised to make British steelmaking more sustainable Sustainability schemes deployed by business most often ineffective, research reveals Destruction of Ukrainian heritage: why losing historical icons can leave a long shadow These programs make college possible for students with developmental disabilities
We Promise to Teach You How to Sail
During the RYA Competent Crew course in Center of Sailing in Croatia, we promise to teach you how to sail. And we promise you’ll quickly get hooked and realize that sailing is even better than ever imagined!
An Excellent Choice for Beginners
This course is an excellent choice for beginners who would like to discover the magic and adventure of sailing and enjoy it safely. You don’t have to have any previous experience or knowledge for the RYA Competent Crew course. You only need to be willing and open to learning and enjoying your first sailing holiday.
Experienced and Patient RYA Instructors
Our experienced and patient RYA instructors – who firmly believe that anybody can learn how to sail – will help you achieve your goal of becoming a sailor. They have thousands of miles under their belt and enjoy teaching sailing.
Live on Board a Brand New Sailing Yacht
You’ll spend five days living on board a brand new, perfectly clean, heated, spacious, and fast sailing yacht, fully equipped for comfortable cruising. We’ll also anchor in stunning bays perfect for swimming in crystal clear azure – hazards free – Adriatic sea. During the RYA Competent Crew course, we’ll visit picturesque islands and cozy Dalmatian villages with great local food and culture.
What Will You Learn?
During the RYA Competent Crew course, you will learn:
- Sea terms, yacht parts, rigging, and sails
- Wind awareness
- Sailing points & maneuvers – close haul, beam reach, broad reach, run, tack, gybe
- Hoisting, lowering, reefing sail
- Knots – bowline, clove hitch, cleat hitch, figure of eight, round turn and two half hitches, reef knot, sheet bend, rolling hitch
- Safety – Man overboard, fire precaution, personal safety
- Helming – under sails and motor
- Preparation for docking, anchoring, buoy catching
- Basic meteorology
- Basic rules for avoiding collision
- General duties of living on a yacht
- Manners and customs
- How to operate a dinghy
What You'll be Able to Do After the Course
After completing the RYA Competent Crew course, you'll be able to:
- Confidently and safely sail on all points of sailing, tie knots, hoist and lower the sails, reef, and helm
- Cover general duties of living on a yacht
- Operate the dinghy
- Assist the skipper with docking, anchoring, buoy catching
- Enjoy a sailing adventure
Certificate and Location
After the course, you'll receive an RYA Competent Crew certificate and 100 Nautical miles in the RYA logbook. The course takes place in Jezera and surrounding islands, bays, and villages.
Safety is a Priority
Although we’re trying to show you the most of our sailing area during the course, safety is crucial in the RYA courses